Your medical record is a confidential document. It is the policy of this practice to maintain security of personal health information at all times and to ensure that this information is only available to authorised members of staff.
Your Personal Health Information and your Medical Record may be collected, used and disclosed only for the following reasons:
- For use by doctors/nurses in this practice when consulting with you
- For communicating relevant information with other treating doctors, specialists or allied health professionals
- For follow up reminder/recall notices
- For National/State or territory registers (e.g immunisation data)
- For State/Territory reminder systems, (e.g cervical screening – PAP smear reminders or familiar cancer registries)
- Accounting/Medicare/Health Insurance procedures
- Quality Assurance activities such as accreditation
- For disease notification as required by law (e.g infectious diseases)
- For legal related disclosure as required by a court of law (e.g subpoena, court order, suspected child abuse)
If you have any concerns or wish to restrict access to your personal health information please discuss these with your doctor or receptionist. This practice adheres to principles of the RACGP Handbook for the Management of Health Information in Private Medical practice and has a written policy.
All information collected is regarded strictly confidential and will not be disclosed to another party without your consent. You have a right to access your information at any time, please inform your doctor if you need this.
The Australian Privacy Principles can be found at www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/privacy-resources/privacy-fact-sheets/other/privacy-fact-sheet-17-australian-privacy-principles